HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Our favorite time of year! It’s a time to look at what we’ve accomplished and reflect on the changes we want, or need, to make in the upcoming year. A time to refine our goals and make new ones - to push ourselves to be who/what we dream of being.
Each year, thousands, if not millions, of people make New Year’s resolutions including all of us here at Narayan Wellness. And we are never surprised when losing weight, getting fit, and making healthy changes are at the top of those people’s list every single year. We are happy to see more and more people striving toward wellness in their lives and thank those of you who choose to join the Narayan family while on that path.
Do resolutions actually help us change?
YES! Research shows that setting well defined goals increases our odds of success. However, only about 20% of people succeed with their new year’s resolution. It has even been said that approximately 3% of adults have clearly written, well defined goals, but this small group of people accomplishes more than the other 97% combined! How and why does this happen?
Simple! Achieving goals doesn’t always happen overnight. It takes commitment, proper goal setting and a community of people to support and guide you along the way. Hopefully you noticed in the paragraph above that a goal being “well-defined” is extremely important. This is why we structure all of our wellness programs to be goal oriented – to help and encourage people, like you, on their path toward success and total wellness.
Here are 5 simple rules to help you set attainable goals for the New Year.
Be Specific: A smart goal is specific. Specify what you want by asking yourself the "five W's": who, what, where, when, and why then phrase your answers in a single sentence. For example, if you decide to get fit, your goal could be to have an appointment with a personal trainer every Wednesday and attend a fitness class after work each and every day.
Make it Measurable: Goals that are measurable are easier to achieve because you can record and see your progress. The measure is where you will be once you have achieved the goal. For example, if you are “getting fit” by the above example, you can measure this goal by defining "fit" as losing a few inches off your waist, a certain BMI, or some other type of measurement.
It has to be Attainable: Attainable goals are those that you have the skills, abilities and other resources to reach. If you're not sure whether you can attain your goal, try asking a professional who can guide you. Based on their answers, you may want to start with a smaller goal on the path toward achieving the end result you want. For example, if you want to “get fit” using the above example, but you realize you don’t have enough time after work to follow through with your plan, you could modify your goal to take a morning class before work.
Be Realistic: You have to be willing and able to work toward your goal. Even if it’s attainable, it might not be realistic if you aren't inspired to put in the effort. For example, if you hate working out in groups, the goal to attend a fitness class everyday might not be realistic. Modify your goal until it is realistic. For instance, perhaps you hate working out in groups but love to run. Instead, you could run a half-hour a day.
Make it Tangible: A tangible goal is one that you can experience. It is a goal you can see, hear, taste, smell or touch. Motivate yourself with tangible goals; you will directly experience the results of your efforts. For example, you can make your plan to “get fit” tangible by having a fitness assessment done once or twice a month. Seeing your positive results is a tangible reminder that sticking to your plan is paying off and worth the effort.