With fresh avocado, crunchy cucumber and jicama, healthy quinoa, currants, pumpkin seeds, cilantro, mango lime vinaigrette, and much more - this fresh, filling, meal of a salad is sure to tickle your taste buds with an array of textures and unique flavor combos while filling your belly with happy contentment.
Try it tonight - You're sure to loooooove it!
1 cup chopped tomato
1 cup peeled, chopped cucumber
1 cup chopped jicama
1 cup chopped avocado
½ cup chopped red onion
½ cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
4 tbsp. pepita seeds
4 tbsp. currants (may sub raisins)
2 tbsp. lime juice
½ tsp. sea salt
¼ tsp. pepper
2 cups mixed salad greens
4 cups cooked quinoa, cooled (may sub couscous)
8 cups water
1 cup black beans
1 cup pre-cooked shrimp, peeled and deveined or chicken, diced (leave out for a vegetarian/vegan option)
Mango lime vinaigrette:
1 cup chopped fresh mango
¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
¼ cup Agave Nectar syrup
¼ cup lime juice
1 tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
1 ½ tsp. sea salt
1 ½ tsp. grated fresh ginger
¼ tsp. ground cumin
Fresh mango, thinly sliced
1 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
1. Prepare quinoa: bring water to boil (2 cups of water per 1 cup quinoa). Add quinoa, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10-15 minutes. If any water remains, turn heat off and allow to sit to absorb remaining liquid. Cool to room temperature or remove premade quinoa from fridge.
2. Prepare salad dressing: place all vinaigrette ingredients in a blender and puree. Place in fridge to chill.
3. In a large bowl, combine tomato, cucumber, jicama, cilantro, avocado, red onion, and shrimp. Toss with lime juice, sea salt and pepper.
4. Add quinoa, dressing, and all remaining “salad” ingredients into the bowl. Toss thoroughly.
5. Distribute salad evenly onto serving plates/bowls then garnish with 2-4 slices fresh mango and lightly sprinkled with cayenne pepper.
*Adapted from Native Food's Ensalada Azteca*